CENSUS 2020’S IMPACT ON ARKANSAS
Getting the count right matters! Arkansas receives six to seven billion annually in federal dollars based on the results of the national census. These funds support Medicaid and grants for transportation, education, public housing, community development, and dozens of other critical federal programs.
Low participation in the census has grave consequences. Every uncounted Arkansan means a loss of $2,500 for each year for the next ten-years and even a 1% under count can add up to $750 million in lost federal funds.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
It’s up to all of us!
Community leaders know best what appeals to the folks in their area. They can create approaches and activities best suited to raise awareness and promote participation in their community. Work with your Complete Count Census Committee to form ‘Get Out to Count’ Groups that can sponsor activities like:
- Participating in Census rallies or parades.
- Coordinating Census Unity Youth forums.
- Hosting interfaith breakfasts and weekend events.
- Encouraging the use of the Statistics in Schools program in local classrooms.
- Incorporating census information in newsletters, social media posts, podcasts, mailings, and websites.
- Recruiting census workers when jobs become available.
RESOURCES FOR CENSUS 2020
The U.S. Census Bureau is the clearing house for official information about plans for the 2020 Census. Other sites with important and helpful information include:
- Counting for Dollars 2020: The Role of the Decennial Census in the Geographic Distribution of Federal Funds (includes state breakdowns of funds linked to census results)
- The Census Project (promotes the importance of reliable census data to elected leaders)
- Census 2020: Countdown to the Count (model state site from the Minnesota State Demographic Center)
Mapping tools to identify areas with hard-to-count populations include:
- Response Outreach Area Mapper (helps the Census Bureau design targeted campaigns to reach hard–to-survey areas)
- Mapping Hard to Count (HTC) Communities for a Fair and Accurate 2020 Census (provides critical location and demographic information on HTC populations)
- Official State Data Center (SDC) Clearing house (links all census state data centers and contains a variety of helpful information, tips, products and website links).